Having friends over this summer for a backyard barbecue is a perfect way to enjoy summer while showing off how delicious eating clean can be! Most cookouts you go to (or host) have some options for clean eating, but also have lots of processed foods like hotdogs, white buns, brownies, and mayonnaise-based salads. It’s time to host a cookout of your own, featuring an entire menu of clean foods! Don’t know how? That’s ok…
Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Consider lean protein options instead of processed meat.
- Choose side dishes carefully to avoid refined carbs and unhealthy fats.
- Make your favorite dishes by making substitutions to clean up your recipe.
- Make clean desserts that also taste good!
- Have healthy condiments, but also offer regular toppings for non-clean eaters.
- Provide water to drink, but ask guests to bring their own if they want something other than water.
Main Dish Ideas:
- Corn on the cob
- Grilled chicken breast
- Pork chops
- Shish kabobs (with shrimp, chicken, pepper, onions, mushrooms, pineapple)
- Fajitas (try my pineapple shrimp fajitas!)
- Chicken tacos
- Turkey burgers (try my burgers!)
Side Dish Ideas:
- Coleslaw (try my citrus coleslaw!)
- Veggie tray
- Fruit salad
- Guacamole (Try my guacamole!)
- Grilled veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, onions, carrots)
- Baked sweet potatoes (topped with cinnamon)
- Bean dip (try my layered nacho dip and black bean salsa!)
- Macaroni salad (with whole wheat noodles and Greek yogurt substitutions)
- Spinach walnut cranberry salad with raspberry vinaigrette
- Fruit smoothies (try my orange fizz, peach milkshake, and tropical fruit smoothie!)
- Clean cookies (try my oatmeal banana cookies!)
- Frozen fruit (grapes, strawberries, kiwi)
- Parfaits (try my fruit & yogurt parfait!)
- Grilled peaches, pineapple, and apples (topped with walnuts and cinnamon)
Condiments to Provide:
- Mustard (try my honey mustard!)
- Plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Spices and seasonings (cumin, garlic powder, minced onion, chili powder, salt, pepper)
- Lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles
- Others for non-clean eaters (barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup, ranch dressing)
- How to Survive a Cookout while Eating Clean
- Clean Pineapple Shrimp Fajita Recipe
- Substitutions to Make Almost Any Recipe Clean
- Quick & Clean Snack Foods