Many clean eaters manage to rev up their metabolisms by eating 5 or 6 small meals daily instead of just 3. Of course, this is the ideal, but many other clean eaters find it difficult to work 5 or 6 meals into their busy schedules.
For example, I go to college full time, and I live on campus. My room and board only allows me 3 meals a day during the week and 2 meals a day on weekends. In the summers, I live at home, but I work full time. I’ve worked in a factory, and now I’m working as a server. Both are jobs that do not allow me a chance to eat while on the clock.
This is where snacking becomes a necessity to keep you from getting too hungry, making poor food choices when you do get to eat, and overeating when it’s mealtime. After living a clean eating lifestyle for so long, I’ve realized I snack almost all day long!
Here’s a list of quick, easy, clean snack foods that will keep you satisfied until you get a chance to eat a real meal. They are divided by type, but many fit into multiple categories.
- An apple & all natural peanut butter
- Glass of almond milk & a banana
- Melon (watermelon & cantaloupe are my favorites!)
- Fresh fruit (grapes, peaches, pineapple)
- Frozen banana slices topped with all natural peanut butter
- All natural unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon
- Fruit chips
- Frozen grapes
- Vegetable cup (carrots, celery sticks, cauliflower, peppers, broccoli, radishes, cucumbers)
- Veggie chips
- Veggie sticks & hummus
- Plain nonfat Greek yogurt with strawberries
- Hard-boiled egg
- Roma tomato stuffed with ½ can tuna fish
- ½ chicken breast with mustard
- Cottage cheese
- Edamame (soybeans)
- A handful of nuts (pistachios, almonds, cashews)
- Sunflower seeds
- Trail mix (made yourself with dried fruit, nuts, seeds, edamame)
- Veggie sticks & guacamole
- Oatmeal with cinnamon
- ½ baked sweet potato
- Quinoa with blueberries