Today is the first ever Monday Munchies! I decided that every Monday I’d makeover a recipe for a food I’ve been craving throughout the week. Since I have a massive sweet tooth and like junk food, I usually want to munch on something that’s not very clean or healthy.
So, Monday Munchies will usually have a clean (or almost clean) version of a not-so-clean dessert, snack, or meal. Sometimes comfort foods have ingredients that have no clean alternative, like chocolate or cheese, but I’ll try my best to make them as healthy as can be!
The first food to ever be featured on a Monday Munchies post is almost clean chocolate chip cookies!! I’ve been craving chocolate chip cookies for about a month or so. I love me some chocolate, but there’s not really a clean alternative. That’s why I have to call these almost clean.
It took some work to figure out how to make a good recipe, and I came up with this one for fluffy, chewy, chocolate chip cookies!
(For about 2 dozen cookies)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add applesauce, honey, vanilla, oil, and milk, and mix until it forms a dough ball.
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F.
- Take little pieces of dough and roll them into little dough balls (about 1” diameter).
- Place small dough balls on a greased cookie sheet and flatten them to about 1/8” thick.
- Press a few chocolate chips into each cookie.
- Bake for 7 minutes, until golden brown.
Enjoy these with a big glass of almond milk or topped with some clean ice cream! These aren’t crunchy or crispy like some cookies, but more of a fluffy, chewy cookie that won’t crumble or make a mess.
I hope you liked the first Monday Munchies! Check back every Monday for another recipe makeover. I’m always open to recipe suggestions from all you readers!
What foods have you been craving lately? Let me know in the comments, and I’ll see if I can clean them up!
- Clean Frozen Cocoa Peanut Butter Balls Recipe
- Clean Oatmeal Banana Cookies Recipe
- Clean Oatmeal Pumpkin Almond Cookies Recipe