This dish is great for the whole family! It makes 15 large pieces, so you can make it for your entire family or eat it on your own and have lots of leftovers for the next few days. It is pretty easy to make because many of the ingredients are actually canned or store-bought (but be sure they are CLEAN).
A few things to keep in mind when buying store-bought and canned ingredients:
- Always read the ingredients to make sure they are as clean as possible! Many canned foods have additives or chemicals. My favorite brand of store-bought food is Meijer Naturals because it is affordable, and the ingredients are almost always clean.
- Check the salsa for added sugar. I used Chi-Chi’s because there was absolutely no added sugar listed in the ingredients.
- If using store-bought tortillas, check to make sure they are as clean as possible. Even so-called ‘whole wheat’ tortillas often use bleached or enriched flour as a main ingredient.
(For 15 large pieces)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (16 ounce) can salsa
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 5 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas (can be store-bought, but as clean as possible)
- Plain nonfat Greek yogurt or additional salsa (optional)
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, red pepper, and mushrooms over medium heat for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add salsa, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, black beans, pinto beans, green chiles, and corn.
- Stir thoroughly until everything is well-blended and begins to simmer.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a greased 9×13 dish, begin to layer the sauce mixture with the whole wheat tortillas like lasagna.
- Start with the sauce, then add a layer of tortillas. Rip or cut the tortillas and layer them in the dish like the picture below.
- Repeat this layering process one more time, then top with sauce so the top tortillas aren’t too dry. The layers will be sauce-tortillas-sauce-tortillas-sauce.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, and let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or more salsa if desired.
- Store leftovers in a container in the fridge. It tastes just as good, if not better, the next day!
- Clean Veggie-Loaded Turkey Chili Recipe
- Clean Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
- Clean Shrimp & Quinoa Stir-Fry Recipe