It’s getting cold! At least where I am… I’m up in Michigan, and today we have a wind chill of -18°F. Burrrrrr! That makes today a good day to stay inside and keep warm.
Luckily, you can make yourself a tasty dinner without going out in the cold. You only need a few ingredients for this fried chicken, and it’s HEALTHY too!
It’s perfect for kids, picky eaters, and anyone who loves fried chicken but also likes to eat healthy. My boyfriend and I have this about once a week because it’s healthy,cheap, quick, and easy!
I like to dip mine in barbecue sauce (not the healthiest choice, I know), but try dipping them in my healthy honey mustard. It’s just as good and is all natural.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks or strips
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- sauce for dipping (optional)
- In a large frying pan, heat your olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk your egg in a small bowl.
- Spread your flour out on a cookie sheet or plate, giving yourself enough room for coating the chicken.
- Dip each chunk of chicken in the egg and then coat it in flour.
- Gently set it in your olive oil. Be careful! The oil might splatter, and it’ll be hot!
- Once all the chicken is in the pan, let it fry for about 5 minutes until it gets crispy and golden brown, then flip it for another 5 minutes.
- To make sure it’s fully cooked, you can use a meat thermometer and make sure the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the pan and put the pieces on a plate lined with paper towels. This will help soak up any extra oil and keep your breading from getting soggy.
- Salt and pepper your chicken the way you like.
- Let it cool a little bit, and serve with your favorite sauce!
Just writing this is making me want some chicken! I like to eat mine with a sweet potato and green beans. Yum! It’s the perfect balanced meal: healthy fats, lean protein, complex carbs, and veggies.
Enjoy! Let me know how you like it and what you like to dip your chicken in.